February 14, 2007

"I received Jesus into my heart when it was godzilla"

I've already given away my favorite part of the NPR interview with Guillermo Del Toro, the director of Pan's Labyrinth, but I still think the rest is worth listening to. It's a discussion of the origins of the movie, the role of fantasy and fairy tales, their relationship to religion, and the idea of monsters. He talks about the movie as a parable of disobedience and choice, and explores the relationship between violence and fragility: "Our lives actually gain more sense when we believe in pain and mortality. I believe it makes us better to connect with the dark side of life - I believe so." He also talks about his experiences of violence growing up in Mexico, about being exorcised by his Catholic grandmother for using his imagination, and about vampires. Very cool.

No comments: