June 24, 2011

Patrick Ness wins the Carnegie

Fresh from The Guardian's section on childeren's books: Patrick Ness accepts Carnegie medal with fierce defence of libraries. He wins for Monsters of Men (Walker Books, 2010), the third in his dystopian Chaos Walking series, all of which have been nominated for the Carnegie. No small feat.

I love everything about the title of this article. Oh, except the part about the libraries in the UK getting their funding slashed. Yeah. I hate that part. I'm all for the amazing work that volunteers do in the world. But that's not a replacement for paying an entire country full of public librarians. Don't even get me started.

I wish there didn't have to be a rash of amazing authors defending libraries. I wish I didn't have to find out what a sucker I am for a charming defense of my profession - really, it's like my version of watching cute talking dog videos - but I sure do appreciate.

No comments: